Essay 1

In the world of healthcare you never know what challenges to expect. You see I work in a nursing home. I was raised by my grandmother who was a registered nurse for about eighteen years. Two of her daughters followed in her footsteps. I somewhat followed into her footsteps as well. I lover working in the medical field. I love the patient care. I do not like the paper work aspect of what I see the nurses having to do My talent is more working with Alzheimer. I worked overnights on a locked Alzheimer unit. Now you may ask me what is Alzheimer..well it is a progress disease that destroys memory and other important mental functions. That is the online definition. There is also Alzheimer dementia which is a more advanced stage of Alzheimer. In dementia brain cells will eventually die and degenerate leaving the person more confused and eventually destroying all memory and important mental and basic cognitive functions. There is no current cure or treatment for Alzheimer dementia. Symptoms can be managed and there are medications to help slow down the disease. A combination of these two medications aricept and namenda are prescribed to improve memory, attention, reason, language and the ability to still be able to perform simple daily tasks. Behaviors from day to day will always be unpredictable with any diagnosis. This disease has been known to affect people in early adulthood but is more common in the elderly.

One thought on “Essay 1”

1. It sounds as if you must have a lot of personal experience to draw from for a memoir on healthcare, but what I see here hasn’t been developed yet. The most obvious way to do that would be to pick a particular patient who was important to you in some way, or who taught you something (either directly or through the experience of caring for her/him). Then remember/imagine some specific times you spent with that patient (or could be one particular experience). give us the details so we can get to know that person and see your interactions with them. Use details so we can see them (any characteristic ways they talked or moved, what objects did they have to help remind them of past connections, what activities did they like). Include some dialogue, and maybe some details about the challenges and rewards of dealing with such patients.

You could also describe what a typical shift was like, with some shorter sketches of a variety of patients. At any rate, try to bring the reader into life on an Alzheimer’s ward and what it has taught you about caring for others, connections between people, the healthcare system, your own strengths, (whatever seems esp. relevant).

(In terms of form, this should be in multiple paras., but you can work on that after you get some more specific material down. Feel free to send e a few paras. if you want to make sure you’re on the right track.)